I wrote what is now the standard biography of Fernando Sor: Fernando Sor, Composer and Guitarist, on which see below. Based on the research which I was able to do when I prepared that book, which included for the first time a detailed bibliography of all Sor’s compositions, I have been able to prepare and to publish many works of his which you will find listed here below. Among them are the New Complete Works for Guitar in eleven volumes, and his Complete Studies, Lessons, and Exercises for guitar. All of these editions are based on a re-examination of the original sources. All of Sor’s original fingering is preserved, for example, which is not the case with some other editions of this music which alter Sor’s original fingering without saying that they are doing so. The editions which are listed here on this page provide you with authenticity.
Fernando Sor life and music, a short biography based on my book Fernando Sor Composer and Guitarist.
TITLES IN TECLA:
Sor: The Complete Studies, Lessons and Exercises for guitar. The standard edition of this music, now in its third printing, used worldwide. Urtext.
Sor: The Sixteen Easiest Pieces for guitar. Ideal for beginners.
Sor: The New Complete Works for Guitar in eleven volumes. Re-engraved edition.
Sor: Variations on a Scottish air, op. 40.
Sor: Fantaisie elégiaque, op. 59
Sor: Seguidillas for voice and guitar or piano
Sor: Seguidillas Book 2 for two and three voices and guitar or piano
Sor: The complete Italian arietts for voice(s) and piano
Sor: Appel des nègres aux français (a song against the slave trade, for bass voice and guitar)
Sor: O crux, ave spes unica (choral)
Mozart/Sor: Three airs from Don Giovanni, arranged with guitar accompaniments by Sor.
Two seguidillas by Sor from Sor’s article “Le Bolero” of 1835.
Sor: Method for the Spanish guitar
España de la guerra, the Spanish political and military songs of the war in Spain 1808 to 1814, a new book by Brian Jeffery of 2017 about the songs of the war, of which Sor was the principal known composer.
- Sor. teaching, and the Enlightenment, an essay by Brian Jeffery
- Fernando Sor life and music
- Sor: Variations on a Scottish Theme, op. 40 for solo guitar. The complete preface by Brian Jeffery (1982)
- Fernando Sor: Estudios completos (TECLA 101), introducción por Brian Jeffery en español
- Sor: Appel des nègres aux français. Preface
- Fernando Sor, Composer and Guitarist by Brian Jeffery: extract from Chapter 1
- Fernando Sor, Composer and Guitarist by Brian Jeffery: extract from Chapter 3
- Fernando Sor, Composer and Guitarist by Brian Jeffery: extract from Chapter 5
- Sor: More Seguidillas. First US performance, November 1999
- Fernando Sor: Seguidillas Book 2: the beginning of the introduction
- Sor: Seguidillas. Tips for singers. Tecla Editions. Brian Jeffery.
- Fernando Sor: The Complete Italian Arietts, Italian Duets, and the Three Canons, contents list
- Fernando Sor: The Complete Italian Arietts, Italian Duets, and the Three Canons. The complete introduction by Brian Jeffery.
- Sor: The New Complete Works for Guitar Solo and Guitar Duet: more reviews
- Fernando Sor – The Complete Studies from Tecla Editions – Supplementary Information
- Fernando Sor (1778-1839) biography
- Segovia’s Twenty Studies by Sor – a table of Segovia’s twenty studies and the original opus numbers
- Sor, Fernando – Method for the Spanish Guitar, preface to the Tecla edition
- Sor – The New Complete Works for Guitar Solo and Guitar Duet. Introduction by Brian Jeffery
- Fernando Sor – The Complete Studies, Lessons and Exercises – Complete Preface by Brian Jeffery
- Sor: Seguidillas, as dance music
- Sor: Seguidillas, Introduction by Brian Jeffery
- New light on Sor’s La Despedida (Les Adieux) op. 21
Gohar Vardanyan has made a video of Sor’s famous study in B minor (op. 35 no. 22) from the Tecla book
Sor – The Complete Studies
Patrik Kleemola has made videos of all 24 of the 24 very easy exercises op. 35 of Sor, on Youtube playing a copy of an early guitar.
Sor – The Complete Studies