Songs for Voice and Guitar
selected, edited, and with an introduction by
Songs for Voice and Guitar is
a treasure-house of songs with guitar accompaniment. All of the guitar
accompaniments are original from their own time, they are not modern
arrangements. Anyone who sings
with guitar or who accompanies a singer will find a wealth of music
here: the 33 songs range from English 19th century ballads to
arrangements of Schubert songs by Napoleon Coste, to French romances,
while among the most exciting are six Central and South American songs
from about 1830, of which the two Mexican, "El Vejuquito"
and "El Pan de Jarabe", are full of life. These are original
songs with guitar, not modern arrangements, all of them newly edited
from the original sources and nearly all of them published here
for the first time. Some of the accompaniments
are easy, some moderate, some a bit harder. Re-engraved (not
104 pages. 12 x 9 inches. First
published by Tecla in 1985, reprinted 2005.
Paperbound TECLA 0044
Price 24.00 euros / or 17.40 UK pounds / or 31.00 US dollars
Clothbound in handsome black and gold TECLA
Price 36.00 euros / or 25.50 UK pounds / or 45.00 US dollars
See a song from this book: El vejuquito (pdf, 189k).
Read the complete
introduction. Gives many details about songs with guitar in the
19th century, and detailed notes about all the songs in this book.
If you're performing from Songs for Voice and Guitar, you
TWO COPIES, one for the singer and one for the guitarist. Don't fiddle with
photocopies: if you like, you can get two copies, one for each of you,
at a specially reduced price.
For more about this book, see below.
To order direct, click the appropriate button below and
worldwide carriage by Royal Mail Priority Air Mail will be added at the checkout. You can
pay by debit card, credit card, or PayPal.
Paperbound TECLA 0044:
Pay in euros:
or pay in UK
17.40 UK pounds
or pay in US
31.00 US dollars
or clothbound TECLA 0045:
Pay in euros:
or pay in UK
25.50 UK pounds
or pay in US
45.00 US dollars
Or you can order it from most music shops and dealers
It depends which you feel more comfortable with.
Shops and dealers
follow this link.
MORE ABOUT THIS BOOK
The contents of Songs for Voice and Guitar are as follows.
- 1. G.G. Ferrari: A Carolina (Canzonetta). Guitar
arrangement: anon. (e to a'')
- 2. G.G. Ferrari: L'Innamorato (Arietta). Guitar
arrangement by E. Seidler. (f to f')
- 3. Federico Moretti: La Insinuación (Canción).
(f sharp to f' sharp) (with an optional ornament on g' sharp)
- 4. Fernando Sor: Muchacha, y la vergüenza (Seguidillas
boleras). (e flat to d')
- 5. Choron: La Sentinelle (Romance). Guitar
accompaniment by Mauro Giuliani. (c to g')
- 6. Mauro Giuliani: Confuso, smarrito (Cavatina).
(d to f’ sharp)
- 7. Mauro Giuliani: Abschied (Lied). (d to f’)
- 8. Luigi Brambilla: Son troppo innocente
(Arietta). (d to a' flat)
- 9. (Traditional French folk melody) Que ne
suis-ja la fougère. Guitar accompaniment by Gatayes. (g sharp to
- 10. Bruguière: Ne parlons jamais d'amour
(Romance). Guitar arrangement by Francois Molino. (d sharp to e')
- 11. Berton: Le clair de lune (Romance). Guitar
arrangement by A. Meissonnier. (c to f')
- 12. F. Blangini: La Veillée de Vénus (Pervigilium
Veneris) (Romance). Guitar arrangement by B. Pollet. (f to a'')
- 13. Hummel: An die Entfernte (Romanze). Guitar
arrangement: anon. (d to e')
- 14. Beethoven: Mignons Gesang (Lied). Guitar
arrangement: anon. (e to f' sharp)
- 15. Schubert: Ave Maria (Lied). Guitar
arrangement by Napoléon Coste. (e to d')
- 16. Schubert: Gretchen am Spinnrade (Lied).
Guitar arrangement by Napoléon Coste. (e to a'')
- 17. (Scottish traditional) Logie of Buchan.
Guitar accompaniment by M. Holst. (e to g')
- 18. (Scottish traditional) Donald. Guitar
accompaniment by M. Holst. (e to g')
- 19. (Mexican, c. 1830) El Vejuquito (Canción
americana). (f sharp to g')
- 20. (Mexican, c. 1830) El Pan de Jarabe (Canción
y baile de Nueva España). (e to c' sharp)
- 21. (Brazilian, c. 1830) El Landun (Canción y
baile brasileño). (g to a'')
- 22. (Brazilian, c. 1830) El Consejo (Modiña
brasileña). (g to a'')
- 23. (Peruvian, c. 1830) Los Tristes (Canción).
(d to f')
- 24. (Spanish, c. 1830) El Requiebro (Canción
gitana). (e to f')
- 25. Karl Keller: Kennst du der Liebe Sehnen?
(Arietta alla Polacca). (c to a'' flat)
- 26. Karl Keller: Wenn du mich liebst (Lied). (c
sharp to f' sharp)
- 27. Thomas Moore/Sir Henry Bishop: My heart and
lute (Ballad). Guitar arrangement by A. Donnadieu. (c sharp to e')
- 28. Alexander Lee: When the dew is on the grass
(Ballad). Guitar arrangement by T.B. Phipps. (c to g')
- 29. Tomás de Medel: La Monona (Canción). (d
sharp to g' sharp)
- 30. Varlamov: Krasnoe seraphan (Russian air).
Guitar accompaniment by Felix Horetzky. (b to e')
- 31. Traditional/Thomas Moore: The harp that once
thro' Tara's halls (Air). Guitar arrangement by J.F. Carl
Abelspies. (d to e')
- 32. M.W. Balfe: Then you'll remember me (Aria
from The Bohemian Girl) Guitar arrangement by Herbert J.
Ellis. (f sharp to f')
- 33. Gounod: Sérénade (Berceuse). Guitar
arrangement by J.F. Carl Abelspies. (b to f' sharp)
Ranges: Most of the songs will suit a tenor or
soprano going up to f' or g' or a'', but a few are for lower voices
going up only to c' sharp or d'. The exact ranges are indicated
above as follows:
a, b, c, and so on up to g: this means from the a four notes below the
treble stave, up to the g which is on the second line of the treble
a', b', c', and so on up to g': this means from the a which is on the
second space of the treble stave, up to the g which is on the space
just above the treble stave.
a'', b'', c'', and so on: this means from the a which is on the line
immediately above the treble stave, upwards.
Consider getting the
songs from Tecla: English ballads, Sor's Seguidillas, arrangements
of Dowland, etc.
Shops and dealers
Tecla home page.
Copyright 2005 by Tecla Editions. Errors and omissions excepted.